smoke revisisted, oil burning, and brake fluid

To: "Datsun Forum" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: smoke revisisted, oil burning, and brake fluid
From: "Mike" <datsun_sports@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 16:37:23 -0700
hi all,

well here goes:

1. I finished my Gary Boone distributor install. today I finally installed a
proper coil. car crank rights up without a hitch. im still getting smoke
however. I asked my wife what color she thought it was and she said bluish.
so it must be oil. I placed a paper towel at the tail pipe but it did not
get anything on it so im not sure. I held it there for about 20 seconds or
so. is there a way to tell if the oil is seeping through the valve stem
seals or if it is worn rings? would that be a compression check? if so what
numbers should I be looking for? the car exhaust seems very strong as well.
the blue smoke does not poor out. it puffs out. the faster the engine runs
the more it puts out although it is not a cloud. the car can sit at idle and
nothing seems to come out as well.

2. something else that is bothering me is the brake fluid. it is DOT 3. it
seemed rather watery when I put it in. meaning it was not as thick as I
remember brake fluid being. I replaced 3 brake lines to the calipers on the
front with new ones as they were welded or rusted. I also installed new pads
as well. I bled the brakes after everything was done. I have driven the car
around the block for maybe 10 minutes. when I checked the reservoir it was
low so I topped it off. today while installing the coil I noticed that it
had dropped again. im not getting anything on the floor. what do you think?

thx,

mike