Re: Hi all - I'm new to list

To: Adam Bradley <ambradley@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: Hi all - I'm new to list
From: Vicki Burrows <gregnvicki@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 22:54:52 -0700
I agree.  Contact the venders for good cam tower shim kits.  It would also be a
good idea to put a thick (but not too thick) nylon washer behind the tensioner
pad on the piston that slips into the tensioner housing (to help keep the chain
tight when the oil drains down), or to install a stronger spring in the
tensioner.  That may save you from start up chain slap and a jumped timing
chain.  Also, make sure that you have the anti-drain down tube the fits inside
the oil filter (a 4.5 inch or so tube that the filter fits over... often times
missing).  Check the little "L" on your upper chain guide for notching from the
loose chain (the "L" is the thing that sits in front of your cam gear that is
used to hold the gear and chain in place if you pull the head).  If the chain
has a serious grove into it, I would cut the whole thing off (watch the
shavings... stuff some rags down in there) as it may decide to break off when
you don't want it to, destroying your engine.  You can still secure the chain
in the future if you need to by using a wood or plastic wedge (L-series engine
owners understand this).  I understand and have seen that there are ways of
saving the "evil L", but I cut mine off years ago and have not missed it.
Greg Burrows