Re: Still having electrical problems

To: audela2 <audela2@cox.net>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Still having electrical problems
From: Roman Rist <roadsterregistry@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 22:25:28 -0700 (PDT)
I have learned this a hundred times (the hard way) CHECK GROUNDS! THEN CHECK
THEM AGAIN.
Disclaimer....this may not fix your problem, but then again it may
 audela2 wrote: Ok, it is probably something pretty simple (we hope!) that rank
newbies like
us have missed. We installed the new 1600 motor in the SPL310, replacing an
older 1600 motor that had been installed. A PO had converted it to negative
ground. The battery is in the engine compartment and is grounded to the
engine at the alternator's adjusting bracket (the one on top) and the starter
is grounded to the frame by a mesh copper-looking band. The voltage regulator
appears to be wired in fine, all connections are tight. But... the battery
was completely dead so we disconnected & recharged it. Reconnected it tonight
and tried the headlights; they worked. Turned the ignition switch & there was
a click then nothing. No lights; nothing.

We DID get the engine to turn over twice before, after fiddling with the
battery cables. The same thing happened each time though; after the click or
turn over, all power was lost. We checked the battery cables with a
continuity tester, and they seem to be fine.

Any ideas on what we might be facing, or further tests we can try, would be
GREATLY appreciated! We understand the basics of wiring, but troubleshooting
is a new experience.

Thanks!
Charlotte & Leonard Hoover
Phoenix, Arizona