Re: Steering Wheels & Seat Belts

To: sidney raper <spl310@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Steering Wheels & Seat Belts
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 20:23:08 -0700
Sidney,

The liability issue is there.  I notice that some of the vendors, selling roll
bars and other safety equipment, have disclaimers to try to deflect a possible
suit.  I don't know how much good that would do these days.

My wife and I have discussed the need for new belts and we have already decided
to give it a try.  I have all of the original belts for a 69 installed in my
car, so I can copy both the seat belts and the shoulder harnesses.

I know something about how much force those stock factory belts can take because
I tested them in my original 68 when I hit a high curb at 40 to 50 MPH.  The
frame stopped when it hit the curb, I stayed in the belts, and my shatter
resistant glasses were thoroughly smashed on the windshield.  If I do make
replacement belts I want them to be just as strong.  I was hit by another car to
start the trip to the curb.  The result was very similar to hitting a solid
brick wall.

I will start shopping for the webbing material and gathering strength
information about what is available.

Tom