airbox criteria, add-on

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: airbox criteria, add-on
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:39:37 -0700
I like the idea of simple dryer hardware for prototype cold airbox, but
don't plumb the dryer hose directly to the air horns.  Ya have to have a
'plenum', (aka chamber) for correct air flow.  The reason that hi-perf air
horns have full radii (greatly adding manuf complexity) is that they draw
from all around, including 'behind' the horn.  I have watched the flow
benching of non-full-radiused and full radiused air horns, and the
difference in surrounding turbulence is dramatic.  We played with some yard
letting it crawl across the bench and into the horn, and the patterns were
quite illustrative of things not anticipated.
Fergus O