The CA situation - any interest in EFI?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: The CA situation - any interest in EFI?
From: "Bill Vonnegut" <bullet919@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 17:56:59 -0700
From: Karl Payne

Hi all,
I'm returning to the list after a long absence.
With the availability of EFI systems out there, like all cars have EFI since
199x... what about converting over.
I know the retrofit is feasible.  How expensive?  I don't know at the
moment, but it's doable.
My question is:  How much interest is there in the list to do the EFI
conversion?

The concept as I see it would be as follows:
- EFI computer (ECU): brand X (we pick the most "conversion-friendly"
ECU/harness combo, use donor vehicle matching parts)
- Harness, injectors, air meter, etc. from donor vehicle
- Carbs: the sidedraft units STAY, they just become throttle bodies.
- Air cleaner: Keep original, it gets sealed for use with air meter
- Intake manifold: Modify for fuel injectors, or one can fabricate new
- Exhaust: Add O2 sensor bung
- Exhaust pipe: Add catalytic converter
- EGR: Probably necessary to add this since the ECU expects it
- Throttle cable: Same, it operates the throttle bodies like the carbs they
used to be  :-)
This has been done, no doubt, by someone out there.  Anybody know of an EFI
conversion to the original engine?

I guess the competing strategy would be the flavor-of-the-month engine swap,
with trans and everything.  I went with a Ford engine/trans, but I'm crazy
that way.
It just seems to me that letting the government bend us over ('scuse my
expression) is totally unacceptable.  Equally unacceptable is
selling/junking our roadsters.  Somewhat less desirable is the engine swap
thing... so maybe some of you in CA just convert to EFI and tell the gov't
"No, YOU bend over..."
Your thoughts?

Karl Payne