RE: Wiring again

To: "'Jessica'" <windsurfer@mindspring.com>,
Subject: RE: Wiring again
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 13:02:25 +1030
Hi Ivin,
it sounds like the ammeter is reading starter current when you crank
the engine:- not needed and dangerous to the wiring.
You should have a heavy gauge wire from the battery (+) to the starter
motor to handle the starting current.
Then smaller gauge wires from the same point at the starter to the
ammeter and fuses.
The ammeter may show a discharge (when engine is not running) to
indicate any current draw due to ignition, parkers on, radio, heater
fan whatever.
During cranking it may show 0 or a slight discharge (-) depending on
the circuits energised at startup as shown above.
Once the engine is running it should always show a charge (+) unless
the alternator is not capable of handling the load.
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291195515
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner, highly modified.
www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290669159
1972 PL510 2 door - in storage.
www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290575481
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2003 specs.
www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291183313
Adelaide, South Australia.