Re: Koni's setup

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Koni's setup
From: Chris Coker <chriscoker@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 07:09:17 -0500
The short answer is - the comp. front sta-bar really does help reduce
understeer.

This was also counterintuitive to me when I first put the bigger bar on the
front suspension of my street car (stock springs, KYB shocks).  But once I
added the bar, and added some more front camber, the understeer diminished
significantly.

I've built some computer models of the Roadster's suspension (it's what I do
for a living), and have had the opportunity to get my street car up on a
test rig to measure toe and camber curves.  The explanation I've come up
with is this - The front suspension geometry is not very good. The toe
change adds a lot of understeer, and the camber curves aren't great either.
By stiffening up the front suspension, you limit suspension travel as the
car rolls, thereby limiting the affect the front geometry has on the overall
vehicle dynamics of the car.  The car's front roll stiffness is increased,
which would normally increase understeer, but this is outweighed by the idea
that by limiting suspension travel the front end will work better.

That's my $.02

Happy Roadstering,
--
Chris Coker