The value issue rises again - Sid's diatribe - delete if you

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: The value issue rises again - Sid's diatribe - delete if you
From: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:04:11 -0500
Well, it is interesting seeing the posts about the $10,000 car.  The
original price was a hoot, but I think that the corrected price is
reasonable - if the car is as clean as it appears and is described.

When I got my first Roadster (too many years ago to think about) Triumph
TR6s were at about the same price.  This past Sunday I saw an ad for a low
mileage unrestored TR6 at an asking $25,995.  If this car was a Datsun
Roadster, and it came across the list, I am sure that several folks would
swoon at the thought of a Roadster selling for that much.  I recall that I
could have had an Austin Healy 3000 for not much more than my Roadster when
I got it.  What are they bringing now?

The reality is that WE - the Roadster enthusiasts - are responsible for the
low prices of these cars.  As long as we see them as fun, but cheap to
bordering on disposable sports cars, they will be of no value.  Some folks
see the cars as more and are doing things that will boost their value.
Calspeed did the Roadster community a GREAT service by keeping his car in
the spotlight.  We need more of that.  While all Datsun meets are fine, have
you taken your car to the multi make meets?  If yours is particularly nice,
have you tried to get it into some of the more exclusive shows?  Most of the
public does not know about the cars, so when they see one, if the attitude
that they perceive is that the car is fun but insignificant and cheap, that
is what will stick.  Perception is everything.

We need to not sell the cars short.  When the Roadster came out, it was in
the same league as the British Leyland cars, but better equipped and made
better to boot.  To my mind, that means that the value of a Roadster should
be higher - especially when you consider the ratio of cars built.  Compare
the car to some contemporaries and I think that my perspective will start to
make sense.

I think that a more accurately rephrased version of Mark's question would be
"what other vintage convertible in similar condition can you buy for $10k?"
Certainly there are some that can be found, but take a moment to guage your
reaction.  If you thought that you could replace the Roadster with a
"disposable" car, then you view the Roadster as disposable.  If you thought
that you could replace the Roadster with a restored (insert vintage car of
your choice here) whatever, then you are on the way to helping promote the
value of Roadsters.

When the early truck sold for $30k plus at Barrett-Jackson, then the 510 at
CDM for $19k, many of us thought it was an anomoly.  They could have been,
but if we shift our mindset to more closely align with those, that nice but
not perfect Roadster in your garage may move closer in value to a nice Alfa
Romeo than to a mangy Yugo.

If we don't appreciate the cars and promote their value, no one else will.

OK, I am off the soapbox.

Sidney Raper
1964 1500
1967 SRL311 00060