Greetings from Vietnam

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Greetings from Vietnam
From: "Ryan Roswell Bird" <BirdMan@myrealbox.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:45:47 -0500
Greetings roadsterites.  I've been in Vietnam (HCMC and Hanoi) for the last
week or so.  Things are rather interesting in this part of the world, from
Government sponsored peace rallies to a mysterious illness (Just flew into
Hanoi today...) that is impacting a lot of us.  I had a fun chat with my Taxi
driver this morning regarding the action in Iraq.

Mandatory Auto Comments:
Vietnam is no Cuba, but has a lot of old vehicles that make it fun to walk down
the street and look.  While most people are on scooters or late model cars, in
the South I saw a small Honda from the 60's, an old Daihatsu Truck, an old
Harley.  Perhaps the most curious car I've seen was a 300zx 2+2 (Z32 Model)
decked out in racing gear, etc.  Here cars are utilitarian and elitist.  It is
rare to see cars that exist for pleasure.

I've been able to play with a lot of unique motorcycles over the years when I
visit here.  The most beautiful old bike around are the BMW R24/R25/R26/R27's.
(250cc Thumpers).  They have been popular among the ex-pat croud.  Beautiful
bikes.  I've owned a few Russian bikes, (Minsk and Voschot) and been on a few
Urals, JAVA's, and the likes as well.

Anyway, off to China in two days to return home in April....  Bye!  And may God
bless all who are in harms way, especially the Iraqi's.  I hope the activity
will be quick, but am proud of the fact the Americans are doing something.

Ryan Bird
67 1600
Hanoi, Vietnam