Roll call - Sunol, CA "Run What Ya Brung" Fun Run 3//22

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Roll call - Sunol, CA "Run What Ya Brung" Fun Run 3//22
From: PETER VANDERPAS <giraffehauler@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 06:42:19 -0800 (PST)
Here are the details:

Fun run of about 1 hour.  Picnic and hang out in San
Jose at the end.  Bring what ever kind of car you have
running.  Optional fun run to Lick Observatory after
lunch.  People returning to Modesto, Sacto, or Fresno
can take the scenic route back through Del Puerto
Canyon Road.

Meet 10:00 AM in the lower parking lot at the Sunol
Valley Golf Club located just off of Hwy 680 near the
Sunol Grade. Take Andrade Rd Exit from either
direction. Golf Club web site
http://www.sunolvalley.com.

I highly recomend packing your own lunch.  I scouted
this out again last week end and only found a Fosters
Freeze and a 7-11 at the end of the run.

Also, picnic will be in Alum Rock Park at about 12:00
if anyone just wants to make it to that.

More Details:

Fun run starts off Hwy 680 at Calaveras Rd. toward
Milpitas.  This is the same as this drive from
Pashnit.com:
http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/CalaverasRd.htm

On Yahoo Maps:
Start: Calaveras Rd At 680 Sunol, CA 94586
End: Calaveras Rd At Felter Rd Milpitas, CA 95035

Instead of turning right as Pashnit suggests, we
turn left and take Felter Rd toward San Jose. This
next section of map gets you to the summit of some
hills with great city views.

On Yahoo Maps:
Start: Calaveras Rd At Felter Rd Milpitas, CA 95035
End: Felter Rd At Sierra Rd San Jose, CA 95132

>From there we descend into East Side San Jose, and
picnic in Alum Rock Park.

On Yahoo Maps:
Start: Felter Rd At Sierra Rd San Jose, CA 95132
End: Penitencia Creek Rd San Jose, CA 95132

I figure we should get to the park by 11:30 or 12:00
noon. From here, locals could head back home and still
have most of the day left. Folks heading back toward
Modesto, Fresno, or Sacramento could take Mt. Hamilton
Rd. to the summit, then take Del Puerto Canyon Rd to
Hwy. 5 where it branches off to the right from San
Antonio Valley Rd as you drive down from the summit.
This is the same as this drive from Pashnit.com:
http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/LickObservatory.htm

Let me know if you are interested. This will be a
fantastic drive if the weather is okay.

Peter van der Pas
1968 2000 Giraffehauler