Clutch bleeding 2

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch bleeding 2
From: "Allen" <orangedawg@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 20:07:36 -0800
To List,

Okay, here's what I got.  Having problems bleeding clutch.  I'm using the
Motive bleeder.  Used it on brakes to great success.  My clutch is at a point
where I have to pump the pedal 5-7 times or so to get "pressure".  My car:
new clutch, pressure plate, etc., new slave cylinder, rebuilt mc, etc..  Zero
miles on car since these were added (car is still being worked on).

Just went through another quart of fluid (this is getting expensive at $8 per
quart!!) today.  Used the Motive bleeder.  No air bubbles coming out.  There
are NO leaks in the system, either from slave, mc, or lines.  Fluid flows just
fine through the system when I'm bleeding.  I tried using the speed bleeders
as well with same results.

My slave is adjusted basically all the way "in", i.e. "nuts" on slave shaft
are all the way towards the slave, away from the "fork".  Reason:  when spring
is detached, this is the point where there is minimal play (1/16th).  If I
adjust nuts toward fork, there is no play between nuts and fork.  I did adjust
it out toward fork a bit more (but at that point there was no play), but not
much better.

I did not "bench bleed" mc when I installed it after rebuild.  However, I
figured with over 1 gallon (yes, GALLON, that's what, about $35 of brake
fluid?) of brake fluid flowing through clutch system any air should be out of
it.  Also, when Motive was attached, I did pump pedal a few times (as a last
resort) to try to get any more air out of system.

Help!!!  I've bled a number of clutches before, but I don't understand what's
going on.

Allen
1970 2000