oil filter question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: oil filter question
From: WBoyd1959@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 22:52:53 EST
I have the "modern" spin on type oil filter in my 1600 and got to thinking
that since it sits vertically (almost), it must drain after the engine shuts
down.

If this is the case, doesn't the oil pump have to fill up the filter every
time the engine starts before oil is pumped to the rest of the motor?  If
this is the case, it is not a good thing..........

I have changed the filter before, and it doesn't dump a bunch of oil on me
when I unscrew it, so it is pretty empty.  If there was some kind of check
valve I am guessing that the filter would be at least partially full?

Am I being an idiot here, or do I need to do something  before I fry a newly
rebuilt engine?

Thanks

Bill Boyd
Riverside, Ca