Roadster Things Electric

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Roadster Things Electric
From: Neil Levine <nalevine@dcn.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 22:12:39 -0800
List,

I thought I'd share some information that some of you may find
helpful.  Several months ago I noticed that my car was beginning to
"detune". Since I didn't want to mess with points anymore and I knew my
current distributor was quite worn, I purchased one of Gary Boone's EI
distributors. I also purchased a coil from him as well. Gary was easy to
deal with and delivered what he promised. Thanks Gary! I installed the
distributor and coil and set the timing. I immediately noticed quicker
starting and much smoother idleing. I tweaked the carbs a bit and the car
is running very well now. A worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.

I soon became aware of much more ignition noise in my radio which I assume
was from the much hotter spark and other differences in this type of
distributor. I have always run the BPR6ES resistor plugs so I couldn't do
much there, but I was not running noise suppressor ignition wires. I first
tried a power line filter on the radio power line which didn't help much at
all so I decided to change the ignition wires. On a lark, I went into the
nearby Kragen and asked if they had a set of suppressor wires for a '66
Datsun Roadster. No, but we have something listed for a '67 they told me, a
set made by Autolite but they weren't in stock. I was a bit skeptical but
for $12.99, I figured I did not have much to lose, and I told the guy I'll
have to check them out when I get them since data on parts for old cars can
be wrong and he said I could return them anyway. They came in a couple of
days later. I finally got around to installing them this weekend and the
ignition noise is gone. These are the PRO-FIT line of wires part number
86407. They are 7.5 mm silcone jacketed wires, grey in color with straight
plug boots and the price is definitely right. I do think an angled boot
might work better since there is a slight interference problem on cyclinder
3 where the plug is near the distributor but I don't know if this option is
available from Autolite as I didn't check back with Kragen.

Anyway, I just thought this might be useful info to some of you...

Neil Levine
'66 1600 SPL311-06576