66 Datsun Break problem: my best shot at backyard advice

To: nturi@fiam.net
Subject: 66 Datsun Break problem: my best shot at backyard advice
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 12:31:28 +0000
Nick,
Did you make sure the rear shoes are adjusted out
manually so they are rubbing the drums?
They can rub quite a bit,
as long as you can turn the wheel by hand.
This is the most important thing to get a
higher pedal, all else being OK.

One other off-the-wall thing that could be wrong.
There are a lot of differant size rear wheel
cylanders.  If your replacement cylanders have
a significantly bigger bore than the old ones,
they will take a lot more fluid to move, resulting
in a low pedal.  Big rear cylanders make it even more
important to adjust the rear shoes out as close as
possible to the drums.  They will also result in
early rear wheel lockup under panic stops, all else
being equal.  This paragraph has to do with good old
Navy Troubleshooting, ie, what the heck was the last
part of the system I messed with...and you said you
recently replaced the rear cylanders.

Does the MC pass the "squish down test"?
Anotherwords, when you pump up the brakes, and hold
the pedal down firmly, does it slowly sink to the
floor?  If it does not move over the course of
several minutes, then your MC is OK.

We got to get this figured out!  Good driving weather is here!
Best Regards,
Jim
Chespeake, Virginia