Re: strange timing change discovery on my '68 2000

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: strange timing change discovery on my '68 2000
From: Vicki Burrows <gregnvicki@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 22:12:02 -0800
David, I assume that you have spun the chain all the way around a few
times and
looked for damage to it?  The cam gear looks fine?  The only other thing
that I
can think of is that there is something amiss with the jackshaft gear.
ONLY the
chain changes, is that correct?  The tensioner is a constant and would
not be
impacted by chain position.  That would imply to me that there is a
mechanical
reason to your problem.  If the rest of the timing components on top
look normal,
I think you are into pulling the front cover, unless you can look down
the front
and see the jackshaft gear and can spin it around to inspect it.  I
would not
drive it until this gets resolved!  Oh, you mentioned "when the motor is

cold..."  Does that imply that the problem goes away when the engine is
warm?
Greg Burrows
67 2000