Re: OT - Wells vs. Beck/Arnley

To: cbrucciani@archinsurance.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OT - Wells vs. Beck/Arnley
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 11:02:38 EST
It's really hard to have a difinitive answer on something like the B/A
parts....

B/A (used to be Worldparts) boxes up their parts sorta like Costco stocks
their shelves.  They buy in qty, and stuff parts in their own boxes... you
could have a whole shelf full of the  same parts boxes - but have 3-4
completely different manufacturers inside.  Many of the parts that are very
unique (single application only vs fitting many diff types of cars) come
straight for OEM's.  Also - bear in mind that things like distributors for
cars are *already* made by a 3rd party (Hitachi, Nippondenso, Lucas, Bosch
etc)- and not by the auto mfg itself. (Datsun, Toyota, BMW, whatever). Who
knows what was being farmed out from there ?!?!?

The best judgement is to take a look at the part itself. In the case of the
dist cap - brass vs steel contacts,  quality of the material, and general
workmanship: All the metal bits firmly attached to the plastic,  - make sure
all the "notches" where it seats are ok (seen cheapies be "off" and not sit
on the dist correctly), the "rotor button" in the cap is in properly and not
gonna fall out on ya,  and so on.....

I'll also throw in my 2c on the Wells thing.... don't bother. Most of it is
crap - go to Napa & get Echlin if you can afford it. (especially for domestic
apps - again... some of the import stuff may be re-boxed- so you never
know..)

Laurie :-)
(10-ish yrs behind the parts counter.... wishing I was back, instead of
working at the hospital...sigh.....)
70 SPL311
AzROC
Chandler, AZ