Classic Autosport to do the Datsun roadster - need help

To: Datsun Roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Classic Autosport to do the Datsun roadster - need help
From: Gary Boone <gboone@sisna.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 21:00:02 -0700
Listers,
This is a message from Jack Davis:
As I mentioned to the list earlier I sent an email to GRM regarding Classic
Autosport and their failure to mention the Datsun roadster. The next day I
received a reply from the Publisher, Managing Editor and the Editor - all
assuring me the Datsun roadster will not be overlooked. I have copied the
response from the Editor below.

Anyone in the San Francisco area with a roadster they would like to see in
Classic Autosport be sure to read the last paragraph. Send your information
to  Editorgary@aol.com
 -
 Jack Davis
 Lafayette, CO
 '69 2000
 SRL311-11273

========
 Jack -- Thanks for taking the time to write.

Your letter falls on very willing ears -- What is not known by many of my
British Car readers is that my very first "sports car" was a Datsun 2000,
that I bought new from the Tulsa Datsun dealer in June of 1968. Great
memories of driving it from Tulsa to graduate school in Pittsburgh, PA, and
then with friends who bought a matching bright red 1600, racing around the
hills of Pennsylvania, going on rallies, racing it in weekend autocrosses.

Then I drove it for the year that I worked at Ford in product planning
(showed the seat belt engineers the three-point belt when Ford was still
doing a two-buckle system) and my wife drove it the two years I was in the
army, through two Detroit winters.  We finally lost the car when we were
t-boned on an icy road in Nova Scotia on a two-week driving trip in the
Maritimes while we were living in New York City in 1973.

So, count on us doing a roadster comparison of 1964-1969 roadsters including
the Datsun 2000 against the other cars I considered when I bought it -- MGB,
Fiat 124, and Sunbeam Alpine --  as our second "That was the year that was"
comparison.   The first comparison is going to be from the year 1960, and will
include a Healey, TR3, Porsche 356, and Alfa Giulietta -- but that pre-dated
the Datsun, by a year or so.

Incidentally, we will be debunking the myth that the Fair Lady was copied
from the MGB.

Have a favor to ask -- who do you know in the San Francisco Bay Area who I
can contact regarding a good 1600 or 2000 for our comparison drive?

 Cheers
 Gary Anderson
 Editor, Classic Autosport