Re: Getting your engine running.

To: "Jon and Maggie" <jm.rider@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Getting your engine running.
From: Scott Haynes <sh92@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 14:04:58 -0400
Thanks Jon,
When I installed the head, I lined up the small dowel pin hole at the 12:00
position with the lobes on the #1 cylinder pointing to 10:00 and 2:00. The #1
piston was at TDC and aligned with the 0 degree mark on the crank pulley. Good
suggestion though.

I found my spark problem last night. A PO had installed the male leads on the
coil wrong. After wiping away the grease I noticed the double ended prong was
on the negative side and the single one was on the positive side. After
verifying the wires with a multi-meter, I installed them correctly and now I
get plenty of spark. So much for assumptions.

With all the crank attempts, the starter and the wires got pretty hot and was
very slow to crank so I called it a night without getting it running. I had an
old starter that I had tried to use but the solenoid wouldn't pull so I swapped
it with the starter that was on the car when I got it. It has a mitsubishi
emblem on it so it's probably not a gear reduction starter that is needed. I
had to loosen the bolt that secures the fender to the frame and lift the body
slightly with a floor jack and some 2x4's to get it out/in. The older correct
starter just fit through the opening once I got it orientated right without
having to lift the body.
I'll try agan this afternoon to see if it will crank fast enough to get it
started (now that I have spark, fuel, and air), otherwise I am going to see
about trying to get my hands on a known good (and correct) starter.

The weird thing is, before I pulled the engine, it ran wired up like this. It
didn't run real well, but it ran. Go figure.
-Scott Haynes
WPB, FL