Re: I AM A HUGE MORON!!- Brake lights mostly fixed!!

To: Daniel Neuman <neuman@RadOnc17.UCSF.Edu>
Subject: Re: I AM A HUGE MORON!!- Brake lights mostly fixed!!
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 13:26:21 -0500 (CDT)
Daniel,

There are a number of things to cause this problem.

Check to see if the tail light glows brighter on that side than the other
one. If it does, you have a cross between the two hot leads on the light.

If not, you probably have an open ground connection on that light. If the
ground is via the mounting bolts. as it is on the earlier cars, clean to
bare metal where the nuts and lock washers mount the light housing to the
body. Also, check the connection between the light socket and the light
housing, that connection may be bad.

An easy way to find out where the ground is open is to connect a wire to
ground and touch it to the different pieces, seeing where the extra ground
helps and where it doesn't. If touching the light socket helps, but
touching the light mount doesn't, the bad connection is between the light
socket and the housing. If grounding the light mount causes it to work
correctly, the problem is the grounding of the housing.

Good luck!

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA