RE: Car that has been sitting for years ....

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Car that has been sitting for years ....
From: Andy Pal <apal@burstein.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:51:19 -0700
I'll pop a couple of things to check out as well. I've fired up roadsters
that have sat
for various numbers of years.

1) Pop the tops off of your carb float chambers and make sure the floats
still "float".

2) Front brake lines, if they're the plastic covered brake lines, bust off
the plastic lining
and check for corrosion. Those thing can hold water and rot the bottom of
that "U".

3) Definitely do the whole fuel line activity (anything liquid in there is
varnish by now
and will just gum up your carbs).

4) Front brake calipers, 4x 10 mil bolts and they pop off (inner/outer).
check them for
leaks. If you need to change the seals, cross reference to a jaguar XK at
british autoparts
for girling rubber seals. Take in a caliper & they'll have seals.

5) Bite the bullet and replace all rubber on the fuel lines (the stuff will
be hard as a rock
and dead by now). I would replace the heater hoses too. Replace fuel filter
of course.

6) WD40 into the back of the water pump (unless you pull it).

7) Disconnect the top radiator hose when you fire it first and stick a
garden hose into
the corresponding radiator inlet. Get a good seal (ie: trash bag or whatever
will ensure
the water runs thru the rad, into the engine, then out of the open rad hose.
You will have
had deposits flake off of the sides of the water galleries. These calcium &
crap deposits
will clog your radiator instantly if you don't flush them out somehow.

8) Pull the drums on the back. check the adjusters.

9) Drain & replace SU dampers (if you have SU's). I use ATF in them,
personal preference.

10) check distributor vacuum advance line to make sure it's not rotted out
and leaking.

I'm sure theres more things to look at, those are just some things I popped
off the top
of my head.

G'Luck,
Andy