RE: Email "bugs"

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Email "bugs"
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:15:38 -0700
This virus spoofs the "From:" email address to disguise where it's really
coming from. It can pick up an email address from darn near anywhere,
including Web pages that someone has looked at (it scans HTML files, among
other things). So if you have any kind of Web presence, you can appear as
the sender of the email. I've been getting a fair number of messages back as
undeliverable when I never sent such a message. The best thing we can do is
run a good AV package and don't open any suspicious attachments that do get
through.

My current SysAdmin is of the opinion that the AV product from Kaspersky
Labs is the best (also the most expensive, unfortunately), and he has
actually done tests of the various products, so I trust his opinion.
http://www.kaspersky.com/

The McAfee Web site has a particularly thorough writeup on the SoBig virus.
http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=100561