Rear diff pinion seal install report, and gas gauge update

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear diff pinion seal install report, and gas gauge update
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 02:23:28 +0000
For all:
I had to take a few days off working on the roadsters winter fix it list to
take care
of some issues with the (usually) trusty Jeep Commanche Pickup, but now that
that
is fixed, its back to the roadster.

First of all, thanks for all the great gas gage advice.  I shorted the gas
gage wires and
the gage went to just above F, so I have a probable sender problem.  I need
to take the
car for a ride and burn off a gallon or two of gas before I pull the sender,
since its full to
the filler neck.  Which brings me to the seal replacement......

You know you need a differential driveshaft seal if you have a good spray
pattern of oil above that
U-joint.  Thanks again for great list advice on this job (i.e. use an impact
wrench to get off the big nut and torqe the big nut to 140 ft lbs on
re-assembly).  Here is some more advice:
The nut is 1 1/8 inch, and it zipped right off with the air impact driver
set on max torqe.
My NAPA store cross referenced the number on the old seal and sold me
NAPA/Chicago Rawhide part number 17782 for $8.87 which fit just fine.
The rubber lip of the old seal was worn away, and the rubber crumbled when
you
touched it, so it was really worn out, and probably the original.  I used
Snap On pry bar number 1650 to pry out the old seal, but a very large
screwdriver would
probably work.  I used a short piece of 2 inch white PVC pipe to evenly
drive in the new seal.
My torqe wrench only goes to 100 ft lbs, but with the handbrake tighened up,
and yanked on
full, I was able to get the torqe wrench pegged out (yea, I know, not good
for the torqe wrench).
This resulted in the cotter pin hole being a hare away from the slot in the
nut, so I gave it one more
good heave with a breaker bar, and it lined up.  I figure this is "right
about exactly" 140 ft lbs......

I took the car off the jack stands and was pleased to see my heated and
whacked front springs
are just about the perfect height.  FYI, I made the driver side about 9 in
tall and the passanger
side about 9.5 inches tall, and now my car is even, with about a fingers
worth of room between
the top of the front tires and the fender lips.  My stock springs were 10.5
inches tall.

It was raining, but I will go for a ride tomorrow and see about the gas
gage, and make sure no
unusual noise or heat comes from the rear pumpkin.

Its going to be in the 60s here tomorrow!
Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake, Virginia

Enjoy a special introductory offer for dial-up Internet access  limited
time only! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup