Gas Gage Fixed!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Gas Gage Fixed!
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 12:49:05 +0000
For all:
This is the final installment on the gas gage issue with my early 67
stroker:
After taking a nice run the other day I went out to the shop and
disconnected the battery
and removed the access cover over the tank sender, and then the 5 tank
screws.  I scratched
an index mark in the sender and on the tank.  Took out the sender, and it
requires a bit of
careful fishing to get it out.  Turns out that the wiper arm had jumped out
of its keeper, no doubt
due to some imprudant car maneuvers by some darn fool driver.  I poped the
arm back inside its
two keeper tabs, and bent the suspect tab out a bit more, and made sure
there was good wiper
tension on the resistor.  Before putting back together, I looked thru the
hole, and the gas, to
the bottom of the tank with a shop light, and I could see a nice clean tank
bottom, with
a good galvinizing pattern on the metal and no rust, a cheerful thing to
see!

I put everything back together, and used a drop of blue RTV on the screws
since the original
rubber screw gaskets were crumbling (although the main sender gasket was
fine).  Hooked up
the battery, put a piece of cardboard in the points, and turned the key on,
and the gage went to
just under full, which exactly agrees with the level.  Yippee!

Time to enjoy the ride, and check the diff temp (in ref to another post),
and my winter
fix it list with the roadster will be done.
Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake Virginia
gonna be 70 here today
gonna be 35 here tomorrow

Take advantage of our limited-time introductory offer for dial-up Internet
access. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup