Nice Fast Ride out in the Country, and then no 5th gear...or

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Nice Fast Ride out in the Country, and then no 5th gear...or
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:01:37 +0000
Dear List
Well, fixed my winter fix-it list on the roadster and was enjoying a nice
sun-setting fast ride out
into the farmlands of Chesapeake Virginia and there was significant gear
whine coming from the
tranny, in 5th gear, noise on with gas on, noise off with gas off.  Hmmm, I
was making a mental note to write the list and ask about this when
"clunk...rrrrrAAAWWW"   sudenly the forward propulsion afforded by 5th gear
left, as 5th decided to take some sort of leave of abscence...pulled into a
farmhouse driveway to back out and go home and there was no reverse, in fact
the shifter would not go toward where reverse used to be....once turned
around I found that at first there was no 5th, and then later on the 5th
gear slot had seemed to become another 3rd....hmmm

So...is this the famous "5th gear neutral" these trannys are known for?  I
am not looking forward
to pulling the engine and tranny again.   I had the tranny rebuilt a few
years ago with new bearings and synchros...and figured if 5th had not come
loose after 30 or 40 years it would probably hang in there for a few more.

Do both early and late 5 speeds have this problem?  What about a more modern
stronger tranny
like a dog-leg 5spd from a 70's - 80's vintage Datsun, I heard these would
fit?  Or should I take this back to the tranny guy, have the shaft built up
and turned down, and then have 5th welded or pinned on?  Anyone on the East
Coast got a good used 5spd?

The one bright spot is I could have the speedo gear changed out, I figured
the car had a 3.70 rear end, because it has a newer rear axle that I thought
was from the 5 speed donor car (this dates to a PO of long ago, details are
fuzzy) but my speedo reads optomistic after I had the tranny rebuilt and
3.70 speedo gear put in.   I must have the 3.89 or something even a bit
higher...I must try the turn and count the driveshaft/back wheels technique.

TIA for some good advice!

My guts are telling me to put the cover back on the car for a few months and
  put the
510 sportwagon project together....I need some positive vibes, instead of
fixing all these
negative roadster maladies.....

ARGH!

Jim Cawrse