Re: <OT>MLK

To: datsunmike <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: <OT>MLK
From: "ambradley@frontiernet.net" <ambradley@frontiernet.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:56:19 -0500
Churches and other organizations are useful in helping people
"calibrate" their "internal moral compass".  If everyone is free to
decide their morals with no overriding guiding force, then there is
ultimately no right and wrong because everything is subjective.  The
laws of the land are relevant but moral imperatives "override" laws for
many people when the two are in conflict.

This has nothing to do with MLK (who was a religious leader, by the way,
and did not say "everyone decide for yourself what is moral and just
and live by those self-imposed guidelines") or Datsun Roadsters, and my
political and social views are diametrically opposed to yours, but I do
not object to your venting on this list, so long as you understand that
your view is not the only valid one, and may in fact be invalid
according to the "moral compass" of many other list members.  That's
what my mail client's filter is for, even when filtering by author.