Re: 4 to 1 intake manifold for a U20?

To: <limprod@comcast.net>, <limprod@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: 4 to 1 intake manifold for a U20?
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:33:46 -0800
> One of the tips he emphasized on was putting a 1 to 4 (4:1?) intake
> manifold on a U20.   He couldn't remember what the manifold came
> from but said he has driven one "with a single beefy carb on top" and
> was very insistent it was for a U20.

Yup. Takes a single weber downdraft and pipes it to all four
cylinders. The one I witnessed was on a car that the owner couldn't
get to run right so he did this swap. Not surprisingly, apparently
he couldn't get that setup to run any better...

Note that the runners to cyls 1 and 4 are a lot longer than the
2 and 3 path.

Most such swaps, IMHO, are done because either the original parts
are worn out, or the owner/mechanic doesn't understand how to set
them up properly.

-- John

p.s. There are 'special purpose' reasons for such a setup, such as
Mike Kerr's turbo'd ride. My comments here apply to stock swaps.