RE: Upper Tensioner - '68 2000 - solex set up

To: "Dziuba, Larry" <LarryD@pengrowth.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Upper Tensioner - '68 2000 - solex set up
From: "Tom Hendricksen" <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:52:21 -0800
Larry,

If you use a tie-wrap, or just about anything wrap around the
tensioner assembly, to compress the tensioner foot into the tensioner
body you can install the tensioner through the access hole in the
front of the head.  Be sure to use a little LockTite on the threads,
or to install the brass retainer that folds over the side of each bolt
head in order to prevent the mounting bolts from vibrating loose and
falling out.

As to the gasket.  I made mine from gasket material purchased at my
local auto parts store.  If I remember correctly the original gasket
does not cover the entire surface between the tensioner and the head,
but there is no reason that it could not.  When I make a gasket I
start with a rough cut rectangle of gasket material.  I use a very
sharp knife, or Exacto tool to cut out the holes first.  Once I have
the first bolt hole cut I put a bolt through the gasket and the part
to insure alignment.  then I cut another bolt hole and put a bolt in
there as well.  There is one oil hole you will need to cut, and that
only needs to be larger than the hole in the tensioner.  Then I cut
the outline of the gasket and I am finished.

I believe these gaskets are fairly hard, thin material.  When I went
to the parts store to purchase gasket material I bought several
thicknesses and a couple of types, including cork for the air cleaner.
That way I can make about anything I need when I need it.

If you are lucky enough to have a hole punch in the right size, and
know how to align it to make an accurate cut, this process is a little
easier, and looks better when you are finished.

Tom
69 2000 "Mr. Hyde"
Portland, Oregon
http://www.fransfancies.com/datsun