Re: alternator conversion on a 69 2000

To: Paul Souza <pauljsouza@yahoo.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: alternator conversion on a 69 2000
From: <efrisbee@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:19:58 +0000
If you have your old smog pump parts, you'll be WAY ahead in the game.   You
definately need your smog pump bracket, the triangle bracket that supports the
smog pump, extended spacers to space from the timing cover and triangle bracket
and extended bolts to hold it all together.  You'll also need the tensioner
bracket, again the smog pump tensioner bracket will work perfectly.  Don't try
to just mount this up without the little triangle piece as you WILL be snapping
alternator bolts.   I found this out the hard way after snapping loads of
bolts... grade 5, grade 8, carriage bolts, etc...

I'd also recommend a 60 amp or under GM alternator.  Your harness is good for
about that at most.  Your amp gauge (aka expensive fuse) will blow before the
full 60 amps is used anyway.  I ran 30 amp fuses on both wires to my amp gauge
and it's saved my amp gauge and harness a few times already.  Yeah, once I
pushed started my car after I left the park lights on one day...  the charging
system was demanding over 30 amps to recharge the battery, but the fuses said
no way.

I've probably got a little over 20,000 miles on the car('67 1600)with its GM
alternator conversion now... other than those previously mentioned problems of
alternator bolt and leaving the lights on, I haven't had any problems!   Best
of luck on your conversion!!

Eric