Knocking sound at idle

To: <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Knocking sound at idle
From: "Eric Frisbee" <efrisbee@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 16:04:47 -0600
I was wondering if anyone might be able to diagnose a noise via email for
me...

Our early '67 1600 (#08258) is a very strong and nice runner.   Lately though,
as the car is warming up, I hear a tapping noise coming from toward the front
of the engine.   It sounds just like a valve that's out of adjustment, but the
noise goes away after the car warms up.   More ominiously, after a recent oil
change, I noticed some metal in the bottom of the drain pan, which was cleaned
before I used it.   Silver and gold/bronze color.   I know that's not a good
sign...   Could the knocking sound be a rod knock?   If so, why does it go
away after it warms up?

Any help would be most appreciated!!

Eric