Wiper problems.

Subject: Wiper problems.
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 18:46:48 +1030
Hi Dana and list,
didn't see this get posted so forgive me if I am repeating myself, repeating
myself.
I don't know what your driving but on my '65 SP310, the wiper motor is under
the dash.
It is held in by 4 bolts to the firewall.
The wiper shaft has a nut on it clamping the arms to the crank.
As a test, just release the nut holding the arms to the crank and switch on
the motor.
If it is sluggish, OK, the motor is in need of attention.
If is whirrs away like a bought one, see below :(
Your problem is more likely to be corroded wiper pivots.
With the motor still disconnected, try to manually operate the wiper arms.
Mine were so gummed up, it took several days of CRC-556 and gentle pressure
to pull the wiper pivots from their guides.
Once free you can clean out the bores, wire brush the pivots, lube it all
with PH grease and refit.
Fit new pivot seals to give you another 30+ years of service :)

Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner, highly modified.
1972 PL510 2 door - at home, waiting patiently!
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2004 specs.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290669159
Adelaide, South Australia.

List,

Different wiper topic.  I normally don't drive in the rain, but did a bit
last week.  The wipers hardly moved.  Is there an easy way to get the motors
out to lube/clean?

Dana

---