Found a 69 1600 for sale in NW

To: "Datsun Team" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Found a 69 1600 for sale in NW
From: "Jon and Maggie" <jm.rider@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 18:56:42 -0800
Hi All,

It's been awhile since I've had time to communicate with 'The List' (just too
darn busy) but in my continuing effort to find that perfect 2000 Roadster
hidden in some barn, I stumbled across a 1600 that someone here might just be
interested in.  I did this once before and Datsungirl picked up a 1500 so I
thought I'd pass this one along also.

About the Current Owner (CO):
He is retired and in his late 60s to early 70s.  As I understand it, the car
has been in the extended family for sometime and it was ultimately given to
him because he likes to work on that sort of thing.   However, based on my
discussions with him, his access to parts is really limited as he is not
internet savvy.  At this point he has basically decided that the car is just
too much for him.  He'd just like to get out of it the money that he and his
son have in it.  Around $800.  The guy seemed like a really nice guy too.

About the Car:
Interior:
It's an (SPL 311) 1969 1600: Red (at one time) with black (at one time)
interior.  Really, the interior is completely shot.  According to the CO, the
car was left in a backyard for over a year without a top or coverage before he
got it.  It currently sits in his workshed (for the last 3 years) while he has
tinkered with it. He has removed the seats and all of the interior.  He does
have the seats (and all interior parts for what that is worth)  The seat could
be refurbished in my opinion.  The console is cracked badly.   The dash,
however, isn't the worst dash I've ever seen and could probably be covered
with a cap and look pretty good.  The radio portion of the console looks
pretty decent with all knobs present.  The carpet is gone too.  The is no top
and no frame.

Body:
The body has rust in all the usual places and would require the front and rear
fender caps.  He also did some rust repair under the seats towards the outside
set of holes on both sides.  Didn't seem like it was too bad under the
driver's feet or inside of the engine compartment proper.  Speaker holes (6")
were cut into the wall between the trunk and interior.  No back bumper, no
headlight rims, and pretty badly pitted chrome all around.  The front bumper
looks good though.  Overall, I don't think that this body is dead yet but it
would require significant work.

The Engine, etc:
This is what could make this car worthwhile.  According to the CO, a new
(rebuilt) engine was shipped up from California and installed with a new
clutch and all the fixens (including the master cylinder) just prior to him
getting it.  He had a note on the windshield the showed compression readings
on the cylinders ranging between 130 and 132 psi.  Being a 2000 owner, I'm not
sure if that is normal for a 1600 but with no more then a 2 psi delta - it
seemed pretty good to me from that standpoint.  It has SU carbs.  The car
wasn't running when I looked at it but the owner thinks he'll have it running
soon.  He has also gone through the brakes thoroughly, not always with new
stuff, but has had discs turned etc.

Truth is, if it was a 2000 in the same condition, I would have made an offer
if for no other reason then to have an engine and parts.  I believe he'll take
any fair offer.

The Owners Name and Number:
William Jones
(253) 333-2378
Lives in the Kent/Auburn area just south of Seattle

Please contact him, not me.  Also, please do your own investigation.  I only
had about 30 minutes with the car and was only able to do a cursory review.  I
would be interested in whether someone does pick it up and what they got it
for though.  Happy hunting

Jon Rider
69 2000 (past and present)
Bothell, Wa