Engine Rebuild/Swap Info

To: Datsun_List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Rebuild/Swap Info
From: Rick Emery <ricknewlywed@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 20:59:02 -0800 (PST)
  Hi all,

  Well, I've had the little beastie on the road as a
daily driver for about 18 months. So far I've had it
painted(then dented in four places), had the head
reworked, put in a new fuel pump, a new fuel filter
assembly (going back to original if I stay with an R16
engine), a new wireset and interior carpets and door
panels. I've replaced the valve cover and gasket,
timing belt cover and gasket, thermostat and gasket,
and various  pieces/parts and hardware.  I still have
to get to the windshield wiper nozzles, oil pan
gasket, and twisties/posties (these went on hold after
someone slashed my soft top to steal a $50 emergency
battery charger and I purchased a hard top).

  Now, to add to the fun, I am blowing smoke out the
tailpipe when the car is under load.  Number 3 spark
plug fouls pretty fast.  My local Roadster guru, Keith
Williams (AKA MacGuyver) believes that it is probably
rings, and I tend to agree.  It sounds like I am
looking at pulling the engine and going in for some
major surgery.

  Ordinarily, I would be pulling my hair out and
looking for a water tower to park on top of with my
trusty 30-30, but I am coming into a sum of money
shortly that will allow me to play around some with
the beastie.  I am thinking about replacing the engine
completely, and have narrowed the field down to two
choices:

  1.  Put together a 1600 stroker
  2.  Throw an L16 engine in

  The L16 sounds kinda cool, as the parts availability
is much better and it has to be cheaper.  I have also
heard that Stan Chernoff is the man to talk to for a
kit to do the swap.  However, I'm not sure about where
to find an engine.  Any ideas?

  If I go with the stroker, that still leaves many
ways to go.  Any input is welcome.

  Ok, enough yammering.  Everybody take care, and I
will try to put out updates for anybody desperate
enough to read them...

  Rick Emery
  Las Vegas
  66 1600 (AKA Demon Spawn)