RE: Engine Swaps

To: "'Dana & Joni Holgate'" <holgate@highstream.net>,
Subject: RE: Engine Swaps
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:21:06 +1030
Hi Dana and list,
I fitted an FJ20 (non-turbo) with Haltech F9 EFI comp. to my 510 4 door.
Dynoed way back in '97 with ~80Kw at the rears, stock as a rock.
In Oz we were able to buy gasket sets, rings, bearing and such through
Nissan Australia and they were sent from Japan, ~10 day wait.
The twin cam 16 valve design is still a popular engine transplant here in
Oz, more robust that the SR engines.
Uses bucket and shim method for valve clearance with individual buckets per
valve, not the two finger method the SR uses.
The non-turbo engine will come on cam at about 3,700rpm making 5th gear
overtaking (+110KPH) sweet and effortless:)
My son has the turbo version in his DR30 Skyline (factory) and he loves it!
In my experience, a very reliable engine and if you tweak it it is strong
enough to take it.

Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner, highly modified.
1972 PL510 2 door - at home, waiting patiently!
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2004 specs.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290669159
Adelaide, South Australia.

Subject: Engine Swaps

What's the best engine to swap in?  What are the advantages of the U20, H20,
&
FJ20?  Any others to consider, If I'm looking for more power & reliability?

---