Mt Shasta Meet is coming (LONG)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Mt Shasta Meet is coming (LONG)
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:00:16 -0800
I sent this as a private reply but decided that it's of general interest...

> Does some one have a link to the Reg. for the Shasta meet and
> or where we should stay???

As already posted, Phyllis Almazan <ugly@softcom.net> is the
key organizer for the Roadster Mt. Shasta get-together. I don't believe
there's an actual registration form out yet.

This is a big year - 15th year of the Roadster meet. If you've never
been before, you should plan on it this year! It's a great little town,
excellent weekend getaway to rejuvenate and relax. If your spouse
doesn't share your automotive enthusiasm, they can check out the
main street shops, hang out at one of the varied eateries, or just
admire the mountain. Mt. Shasta is the headwaters of the Sacramento
River, by the way.

The city, though becoming more popular, is still pretty laid back.
Depending on where you stay, you may not get a four-star pampered
experience (IMHO, the Mt Air is getting kinda pricey for what they
offer...), but I find the overall experience very refreshing and a welcome
break from the city-based rat race.

There's lots of accommodations these days. Check out a list at
<http://ww.lodgingmtshasta.com>. In brief:
The Strawberry Valley Inn is where Phyllis and the organizing
committee hang out. Elegant, quiet, and you'll find lots of the
67.5 2L rides parked here.
Across the street, the Mountain Air fills up with the Canadians
(party all night, but in a good way), and (again IMHO) has more
of the 'techie' feel. Keith Williams did a tune-up for me in the
parking lot :-).
There's also an All-Datsun meet that runs concurrently (ugly story,
don't ask). Lots and lots of 510's. They mass at the Econolodge
and the KOA campground at night, and run an autocross at the
Ski Lodge during the day. It's a blast to watch. A few Roadsters
(not enough) run, too. Note: The All-Datsun meet is separate,
organized by Dennis and Peggy Hale and the NorCal UFO
(United FiveTen Owners).

Now, in reality everyone masses everywhere. Last year, one of the
guys tried out the vacation rentals and was very pleased with the
roominess and the price. If I weren't so set in my ways, I'd try it
it and probably be happier there. There's some brand new places that
were just completed too. So shop around, it's a small town and it's
easy to 'stay connected' wherever you stay!

The official dates are Fri and Sat (Jul 9 and 10), but I highly recommend
you grab an extra day, come up on Thursday and give yourself time
to unwind.

-- John