RE: brisk morning ride, lights surging brite??

To: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>,
Subject: RE: brisk morning ride, lights surging brite??
From: "Brad Lustig" <bradlustig@landscapepavers.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:38:53 -0500
I got cold just reading that!  As to the lights, I was going to say it was
the voltage regulator.  I had mine go out on my '84 300ZX turbo.  It blew
out both high beams and made everything really bright for a few seconds at a
time.  I never noticed the dash ammeter fluctuating, but it did jump up to
about 18V when I hooked up my voltimeter and it did its thing.  I don't know
if there's a separate voltage regulator on the Roadsters, but I had to
replace the whole alternator on the 300 (regulator was internal).  The other
scenario that I can think of is the brightness you are seeing is the proper
brightness of a healthy electrical system.  In this case, you need to find
out if you have a loose ground connection somewhere.  I would get out your
voltimeter and hook it up to the electrical system and try to duplicate the
"bright light" scenario and see what the voltage is doing.  Good luck!  Just
be glad it's not a Lucas system. LOL!
Brad