Forwarded: brake pads

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Forwarded: brake pads
From: <lists@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 02:20:03 -0700
For some reason this was sent to me rather than
datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net.

If your internet access is web-capable, check out

  http://www.team.net/posting.html

mjb.
----

     From: "Don Boyd" <dbji@whidbey.net>
     Subject: brake pads
     Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:30:20 -0800

I thought the list might like to know this.
The break pads on the front of the roadsters use the same pads a  variety
of 60's Brit and Italian Cars. I think an early Mercedes too, but have never
seen it myself. The original Nissan pad had a friction rating of EE ,I
think,and were made by Dunlop. I still have a pair of them.  You had to land
on the pedal HARD to get much braking response. Later ones were EF , which
had a bit better braking when hot. Pbr sells the pad under the old Dunlop
d52 part number, but here's the good part:  I noticed that as my shop went
through pads for the Volvo's and BMW's we normally service, the newest PBR
pads were GF rated. That is a significant improvement from the old E cold
rating. The average mu for E is .3, and the average for G is .5 . That ,
my friends is a 66% improvement . This means you can expect a much more
powerful response to your push on the brake pedal.  So, I went on a buying
spree and bought the Seattle distributor out of the pads (twice) and started
to get the new pad formulation in.  We've tried them on a Lancia that uses
that pad front and rear and it DOES make a difference. For those of you with
a technical bent, look up SAE J866a for a more complete overview of the
rating system.  Couple these new pads with the new 2.25" all stainless
caliper piston assemblies that are available, and there is much to be gained
for the front brakes!

Don Boyd
dbji@whidbey.net
'68 2000