More repair questions: Exhaust Manifold answer

To: wilhouse@charter.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: More repair questions: Exhaust Manifold answer
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:43:01 +0000
Although the stock manifold flows well, i.e. there is no big performance
gain with
a header, now would be the time for you to get the header because it is hard
to get a good repair to the cast iron manifold, and NOS manofolds are very
expensive.
You can get a good header from one of our suppliers for less than $200.
Get one thats powder coated and it will impress your friends as well!!!

As far as the tranny goes, not sure how the front splines can be messed up
unless
someone forced the tranny together into the clutch at some point in the
past.
If this is the case, that shaft could be replaced with a shaft from an
otherwise
junked tranny.  There are plenty of low cost 4 spds out there, many people
want
to do the 5 spd conversion (as me how to do this in a 67 SEPCOR if you
want).

But, after recent events with my car, I believe the Bob Sharp manual where
is says
the 4 spd is actually stronger than the 5spd! (although nothing wrong with
the
5spd ESPECIALLY WHEN THE DARN MAIN SHAFT NUT IS FIXED SO IT WONT GET
LOOSE!)

Hope this helps!
Jim
Chesapeake, Virginia

>From: "Ken & Tammy" <wilhouse@charter.net>
>To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
>Subject: More repair questions
>Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:58:57 -0600
>
>Hello all,  My '67 1600 is in the shop having its tranny repaired and motor
>examined.  I spoke to the guy today and here is what is happening.  Please
>remember that I am not a mechanic, so a little leniency would be
>appreciated...
>1) The motor looks good, will replace rings, seals, and any other marine
>mammals that need replacing.  He said cylinders look great.  Big relief.
>2) The tranny does not look good.  The rear seal is very bad, and thus so
>is
>the front spline of the drive shaft.  The forks are loose so the shifter is
>very sloppy.  Assorted other bits and pieces need to be replaced.
>3) There are multiple small cracks in the exhaust manifold.
>
>So I have more questions about this news.
>Can /  should the manifold be repaired or replaced? And is this easy /
>inexpensive (i.e. part available)?
>Are all shift levers loose?  Should this be a concern? Should this be
>repaired?
>Can the front spline (sorry prob wrong terminology) of the drive shaft be
>replaced, or just machined so it is smooth and a new trans seal pressed in?
>Do I just start searching for a completely different tranny?
>
>Does what I am writing make any sense??
>Thanks for any help you can provide.
>Ken Williams
>Janesville, WI
>'67 1600
>box full of transmission parts

Get fast, reliable access with MSN 9 Dial-up. Click here for Special Offer!