Front Disc Brake Cylinders

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front Disc Brake Cylinders
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:17:20 -1000

I need a reminder.

Before "getting into" the process of  correcting a
minor leak of the right front brake hydraulics, I would
appreciate the answer to the difference between the
inner and outer cylinders.

While "I'm at it", I plan to replace the steel tubing
at each front wheel, because the existing tubing is
badly rusted.  I have the new tubing to replace the
existing, I purchased several years ago.  It is 'pre
bent' into proper configuration, together with correct
fittings and tube flares.

I have one 'brand new, pristine' wheel cylinder.  I am
hoping that it is the correct one for the one which is
leaking.  "50/50 chance".  It is the one which has a
"V" shaped seat at the bottom of one bore, and what,
might be described as a "W" shaped seat, at the bottom
of the other bore.

Now, what really causes me confusion, is that I
examined the 4 cylinders I removed when I last did a
front brake overhaul.  Three of them had "V" shaped
seats on BOTH ends; while only one had had a "W" shaped
seat on one end.

That suggests that I had a 'wrong' wheel cylinder,
through the entire period of one front brake overhaul
'cycle'.  At this point, I don't know what's in there
now.

How should they be, and can they be installed
interchangeably without getting into trouble?

Appreciate any help!!

Dave