Laguna Seca Historics PICS/write-up

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Laguna Seca Historics PICS/write-up
From: Alvin Gogineni <gogineni.alvin@GENE.COM>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 00:59:59 -0700
http://community.webshots.com/user/alving07

http://www.automotivearticles.com/1967_Datsun_Roadster_SPL311.shtml

My first time at Laguna Seca and the Historics. It's a much larger event
then I anticipated. And oh my Lord were there fine ladies all over the
place!
I caravanned down with 3 Z32 Z'z, 1 350Z and Paul Hooks' 240z, which is a
fantastic Z, by far the best sounding Z I've heard!

Only 3 roadsters were in the ZCorral, Gerardo's, another gentleman from
Modesto(Paul?), and mine. The rest were Z's.
I was in awe at the surroundings, Ferrari's and exotics all around me, Very
overwhelming. I wanted to take pictures of all of them.

When I noticed Gerardo's roadster I looked around for him and he was in a
group of people. Upon closer inspection I realized he was talking to Pete
Brock! I tried everything to get Gerardo's attention, but he didn't notice
me. Next thing I know I'm walking with Pete to check my car out! He was a
very nice guy! It was amazing to hear him talk about the roadsters back when
they raced them. I thought it was funny when Pete told me to fold/cut my
rear fender lips for clearance because that 's the "way they raced their
roadsters". Very cool. He really liked the BRE decal I had next the fire
extinguisher(Thanks Raul!)I had fun talking to him, I thought for awhile I
was taking too much of his time:) Told me about installing a Panhard rod in
back too.
Got him to sign my valve cover and rollbar!
I also met John Morton. He sat in my car and the first thing he noticed was
the tach, "That's not stock". He like the short shifter too. I asked him to
sign my rollbar and he said, " just don't roll over my name."
So that was pretty much the highlight for me. Numerous people came up to ask
about the roadster. We got the Jag guys to come over too!
Next up was lunch. This was like a circus-type atmosphere. Tri-tip,
calimari, philly cheesesteaks, coffee-can size cookies, churros. Good stuff.

After lunch we strolled through the paddocks. I thought all the vintage cars
were display only, but they were there to race too! Saw 1 Lamboghini Diablo,
and 2 Ferrari Enzos, and a couple of 360 Challenge cars, but they didn't
catch my eye as much as the older race cars. Some bad-ass Cobras, Shelby
Mustangs. Someone was selling a BRE 510, completely sorted out. I might pick
it up. HA!

Jay Leno was there, so was Carrol Shelby. Some guy from Meguiars that has
his own cable show or something too.
Did I mention the ladies?!
Then we had some beer and watched a few races. The highlight was a Ferrari
F1 car doing a couple laps. The sound was this eerie, chilling wail. Really
freaked me out. Thought it would go supersonic Too fast for the track(it did
set a track record!)

Well, it was fun. We left at about 3pm and the ride home was smooth. Great
day!
Alvin Gogineni
1967.5 SPL/SR20
San Jose, CA