Use of MGB chrome side molding on a '68 roadster

To: datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Use of MGB chrome side molding on a '68 roadster
From: PETER VANDERPAS <giraffehauler@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 22:30:23 -0800 (PST)
I am hoping I am not the first person to attempt this,
and that someone might have some advice on this
application.

OEM side molding for a '68 Datsun 2000 runs in excess
of $500 for a complete 6-piece set, plus the cost of
fasteners.

Moss Motors sells a complete set of chrome side
molding for a MGB including fasteners for $50.95:
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29054

With slight modification, this could look period
correct if not original.

IDEA:  The molding on the front and rear quarter panel
of an MGB runs to the end of the panel (headlight and
tailight) and is squared off at the end.  There should
be plenty of molding to work with to make it work on a
Datsun.  On a Datsun the molding does not run to each
end of the car, and ends in a point.  Forming the
point could be difficult.  You would need to carve a
buck out of wood and hammer the molding into a point.
Forming a square end would probably be easier, and may
not look too bad, if not original.  I don't know how
long the MGB door is, but I would guess it is shorter
rather than longer than on a '68 Datsun, so you may
end up with a gap at the front and rear edge of the
door, perhaps also not a problem.  I would estimate
that the fasteners supplied by Moss would work in
attaching their molding to a Datsun.

I know there are a lot of clever fabricators out
there, and I am all thumbs when it comes to this kind
of thing, so please let me hear from you.  I know I am
cheap for wanting to find a fix for 1/10 the cost of
OEM, but am I crazy?

=====

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250