RE: Contact - Suspension Bits

To: "'Jim Sylvester'" <jim.sylvester@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: Contact - Suspension Bits
From: "Tim Waltz" <printner@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 08:54:45 -0700
Here's a few things I've picked up from this list over the years:

Steve Allen has a bunch of info on his site at www.311s.org

I know Dean at fairlady sells rebuilt steering boxes, but don't know if
anyone else is rebuilding them.  Same with idler arm.  Anything you learn,
please share.  Steering and Idler boxes will be next after I finish
suspension.

Tie rods are golden. The smaller side rods run $120-$140 from the vendors.
Graeme in Australia made his own center rod from P510 ends (metric thread)
and he threaded a rod to fit it.  Makes me wonder if you can use the P510
end rods, can you find a metric center rod the same length to fit them?

Springs--I've heard of cutting them, but would be afraid to botch the job.
Ross from Sports imports suggested to me once to compress them (make sure
you compress them evenly), then put them in the oven 400 degrees for 45
minutes.  Let them cool completely, and when they're done, they're
compressed.  I haven't tried it... Mike Young in San Fran had some beautiful
reproduction comp front springs made.  They're more like the strength of the
original comp springs, but available.  The latest batches of comp coils from
Nissan have been made by Eibach, and they're super stiff (filling rattlers!)
http://www.datsunsports.com/

I think most of the vendors have the comp sway bars.  Dean has urethane
bushings for his (I just don't know if the other vendors have urethane).
Dean offers full urethane bushing sets front and rear.

Cutting the front suspension bumpers.  Greg Valazza has the Bob Sharp manual
available for download on his site
http://www.datsun.org/roadster/literature/motorsports.html

Click on the manual to download.

One option I found for the front if you don't want to cut and want an
inexpensive alternative is to get Energy Suspension urethane bump stops
#9.9103G (G is for black, R is for red).  They're 1 9/16" tall and 1 1/2"
diameter.  It requires that you drill out the hole in the stand from the
stock 21/64" to around 3/8".  I ordered them from my local Checker Auto for
around $4.00.  Yup--4 bucks.

For rear bumps, I came across a set that's shorter than my stock ones.
Don't know if they're "comp" or early or what, but they're shorter than what
came in my 67.5's by about 1/2"

LSD's are another Holy Grail.  Last I knew, Stan Chernoff still had some,
but it's been a while and he could have been cleaned out.

Rear leafs.  From what I understand, there were three versions--early, late,
and comp.  The early springs are #55020-10500.  Late springs (67.5 and
later) 55020-25500, and the comp springs (can't find the number right now).
The early springs are exactly 1/2" shorter than a later spring (I have both
sitting on the  garage floor).  I've also heard the early springs are
stiffer.  The comp springs will lower it even more.  Don't know what if
anything is still available from Nissan, but Rallye has all three varieties,
and Dean has some repros.

Lots of shock info on Steve's site www.311s.org

Lastly:

schluder@texas.net

Hope it's of some help.

Tim
--------------------------

Steering box  anybody out there rebuild them if I send them the core? (I
want TIGHT steering)

Idler arm  same question

Tie rods  Any NOS out there?  Cost?

Ball joints  Ive got that covered.working with a rare parts manufacturing
Co in CA.. Let me know if youre interested in an update

Bushings, etc.What do you suggest?

Cutting the front springs  your thoughts?

Front sway bar  are thicker ones available?

Cutting the suspension bumpers in front and back / your thoughts?

Tires  Whats a good size for dropping the car 1 < inch?

Back suspension  Any info on LSDs?

Back springs  any thoughts about removing the smaller short ones to drop
the car?

Shocks front and read  recommendations?

One other thing.Im looking for the contact information for Bruce
Schluderman in Austin TX.  I had it at one time but lost it during a
computer crash and I havent been able to contact Bruce through E-bay.