Re: zinc or cad plating

To: "Datsun List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: zinc or cad plating
From: "Todd Osborn" <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:57:44 -0800
Tim,
For corrosion resistance the Cadmium is better than Zinc. The yellow finish
on either is a chromate conversion (non electrolytic dip in a chromic acid
solution) and keeps the Cd or Zn from tarnishing. So if you start with a
bright finish (function of the plating process) the chromate will keep it
looking bright and also provide some additional corrosion  protection. I
don't think most people could tell the difference between Zn-chromate and
Cd-chromate and the OEM parts were probably Zn. I suspect the Cd plating is
more expensive as it is consider more hazardous by the EPA (reportable
quantity for Cd is 10lbs, for Zn is 1,000lbs. See EPA title III
http://www.epa.gov/ceppo/pubs/title3.pdf ).

Todd Osborn
San Jose, CA
'68 2L DATSFUN