U20 Lower chain death rattle?

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: U20 Lower chain death rattle?
From: "Todd Osborn" <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 19:40:02 -0800
It sounds like my roadster has developed a lower chain rattle, I originally
thought this was a bad water pump and replacing it cured the problem for
awhile. I get this rattle occasionally right after I start the car and
loudest at idle and seems to go away at higher rpm. I replaced all the
chains, gears, guides and tensioners when I rebuilt the engine about 50K
miles ago. The upper chain and cam gear still look very good. I suspect the
lower tensioner has worn out or the lower guide broke off and sometimes
rattles around with the chain. I plan to pull the front cover to inspect,
however I am considering pulling the engine to make life easier. Any
recommendations of what to check once I have the front cover removed? I will
be needing some gaskets and seals, are these still available from Nissan or
our vendors? If I pull the engine I will probably pull the crank to replace
the rear main seal, is there a lower gasket set for the pan, front cover,
and front and rear crank seals? Has anyone found a better than OEM rear
seal? With 50K miles should I replace the chains, I have heard the
recommended interval is 60K. TIA
Todd Osborn
San Jose, CA
'68 2L DATSFUN