Re: Headers

To: Daryl Smith <drlsmith@telus.net>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Headers
From: "datsun parts.com" <datsunpartsdotcom@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 08:34:06 -0800 (PST)
Daryl,

     Good idea to post this to the list. I'm glad you did. This is often the
re-occuring dilemma when proposing a change to a existing part or creating a
new item.
     Exactly how many people would be willing to purchase this item as you
describe?
     For the manufacturer to  partake in a change, such as this, would require
a justification in terms of sales. People who like what you have put forth may
contact me and we will see what the numbers look like and the response.

Dean

Daryl Smith <drlsmith@telus.net> wrote:
"Part of the incentive for vendors in making new parts, that are better than
whats been around, or justifying improving a design, is the promise or
commitment of customers to acknowledge and actually purchase the items."

After some study, I have concluded that equal length, certain length, 4-2-1,
4-1 etc., while all have their value for the "absolute top HP/Torque", the two
most important factors are the "correct" tubing size (overestimating your
horsepower/tube size can cost you!) and a good collector. ( My own unexpert
opinion )

What are the chances of getting a header built by your regular supplier, on
the same jig, with 1 1/4" or 1 3/8" pipe, adding about 5-6" ( have to check
on collector length/frame clearance) either without a collector, or with a
"merge" type collector? Eliminating the resonator/muffler under the driver is
a forgone conclusion.

1 1/4" should be good for stock 1500's and 1600's (up to about 90 hp) Do they
use the same header?
1 3/8" should be good for modifed 1600's (up to about 110 hp)
1 1/2" (up to about 155 hp)

These three sizes should cover about 95% of what is needed. And should give a
noticeable performance boost with a good collector.

With these minor modifications it shouldn't (?) be much of an increase in
price, especially without the collector.

I have a 1600 engine that I think I would like to try the 1 1/4" on.

If anyone has anything to add to this, good or bad, I would definately like to
hear your opinions.

Thanks
Daryl
'66 1600