Re: Headers

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Headers
From: "Daryl Smith" <drlsmith@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:53:16 -0800
  "Part of the incentive for vendors in making new parts, that are better than
whats been around, or justifying improving a design, is the promise or
commitment of customers to acknowledge and actually purchase the items."

After some study, I have concluded that equal length, certain length, 4-2-1,
4-1 etc., while all have their value for the "absolute top HP/Torque", the two
most important factors are the "correct" tubing size (overestimating your
horsepower/tube size can cost you!) and a good collector. ( My own unexpert
opinion )

What are the chances of getting a header built by your regular supplier, on
the same jig, with 1 1/4" or 1 3/8" pipe, adding about 5-6"  ( have to check
on collector length/frame clearance) either without a collector, or with a
"merge" type collector? Eliminating the resonator/muffler under the driver is
a forgone conclusion.

1 1/4" should be good for stock 1500's and 1600's  (up to about 90 hp) Do they
use the same header?
1 3/8" should be good for modifed 1600's   (up to about 110 hp)
1 1/2" (up to about 155 hp)

These three sizes should cover about 95% of what is needed. And should give a
noticeable performance boost with a good collector.

With these minor modifications it shouldn't (?) be much of an increase in
price, especially without the collector.

I have a 1600 engine that I think I would like to try the 1 1/4" on.

If anyone has anything to add to this, good or bad, I would definately like to
hear your opinions.

Thanks
Daryl
'66 1600