Re: tie rod

To: Eric Frisbee <efrisbee@charter.net>
Subject: Re: tie rod
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:46:55 -0600
I don't recommend a pickle fork, I've seen too many joints damaged by
them (including some I damaged!).
If you can't find a joint separator at your local parts house to rent,
try this:

    Put the nut back on, but don't tighten it down. Look at the casting
that the joint goes through and you will probably find a couple of
    places on it where the metal sticks out on opposite sides. Place a
large hand sledge (like a 5 lb hammer) on one side and hit the other
side     with a smaller, but still large hammer. I found that it usually
takes only a few hits before the joint pops free. Doing it this way
doesn't put
    any  strain on the joint, and keeping the nut on the threads protect
them from a errant hammer blow!

Good luck.

Peace,
Pat