Request for shift boot protection advice

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Request for shift boot protection advice
From: "Michael Knorr" <mhknorr@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 15:58:14 -0600
A long time ago, before I began keeping a folder of handy maintenance tips
and tricks gleaned from this listserver, someone posted a tip on how to keep
a shift boot from rotting away due to gear oil from the transmission blowing
onto it through the shifter bearing. It was something like take a small
piece of plastic tarp or what have you, punch a hole in it, and slide it
down the shifter to the top of the bearing. Then install a new boot over it,
effectively giving the boot protection from the gear oil. Is this correct or
am I imagining it? Anyone who's gotten sick of replacing the boot every
couple of years please give me advice on the best way to protect the boot.

Regards, Michael Knorr
1966 SPL311