OT-Chevy Crate Motors

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: OT-Chevy Crate Motors
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 17:07:55 -0500
I know a lot of us play with other types and makes of cars and other sorts
of things for that matter. On the domestic side of things I've always been a
GM nut, primarily Chevys, but I also have a soft spot in my heart (and
Elayne says in my head, too) for the early GTOs. Of course she really like
older trucks so she doesn't hammer me too hard.

Two of my favorite TV shows are Horsepower and Trucks, both on the Spike TV
cable network on weekends. A couple of very cool segments on today's
Horsepower. The first was on a computer designed graphics setup used on
their Nova project. Very cool technology which basically lets you design a
partial or complete coverage graphics package for virtually any vehicle, or
pretty much anything else I'd guess.

However the segment that prompted the subject was a visit to the GM
Performance Parts facility where they built the GMPP crate motors. Too cool!
These things are carefully hand built and pretty blueprinted with the
availability of computer machined and matched parts these days, and I
seriously doubt we could even buy the parts for the price of the motors.

Catch Horsepower and Truck on Spike around Noon both Saturdays and Sundays.

Ron