Zinc paint and powder coating

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Zinc paint and powder coating
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:33:01 EDT
Hello all,

    One of my Z buddies is doing some powder coating  here at the ranch.
Something I've done before that works well is paint the parts  with "zinc-rich
cold galvanizing compound" before powder coating them. It's 97%  zinc dust with
just enough paint stuff to hold it together. Supposed to be as  good as hot dip
galvanizing at preventing rust. I talked with the paint maker  and they
highly recommend it under powder. You do need to bake it at 400 F first  to
drive
off the volatiles so you don't get pin holes in the powder. The  suspension
stuff I've done in the past really looks outstanding.

keith